My Aged Care.

Learn about potential funding support through the aged care system.

An older adult sitting in a chair smiling at the camera.

What is My Aged Care?

If you’re over 65 years old (or over 50 for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Peoples), My Aged Care is the starting point for you to access funding supports through the aged care system.

My Aged Care provides a single point of contact for older Australians entering the aged care system—and your carers and family members—to ensure you can easily find and access the right government-funded services to support your independence.

You can register with My Aged Care by contacting their helpline on 1800 200 422. The team at My Aged Care will gather some details about your situation and the supports you rely on. Then, they’ll connect you with an aged care assessor in your local area who will manage the rest of your registration.

A person sitting outside on the grass with a smile on their face looking at the camera. They have one leg bent with their arm wrapped around their knee and a white cane next to them.

Who is My Aged Care for?

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides funded supports for people living with a disability. However, eligibility for the NDIS is limited to people under the age of 65 at the time of applying.

If you are aged 65 or older (or 50 or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Peoples), you’ll access funded supports through the aged care system. Registering with My Aged Care is the first step towards accessing these funded supports.

When you register with My Aged Care, a record is created with a summary of your personal situation. As you progress through an aged care assessment towards receiving services, your summary will be shared with the people involved in coordinating your support, so you don’t have to keep repeating your story to different people.

An older adult squeezing paints out of a tube into a paint tray.

What happens when I register with My Aged Care?

After you’ve registered with My Aged Care, an aged care assessor from your local area will make an appointment to visit you at home. They will have a conversation with you to understand your situation and the supports you rely on.

Together, you will come up with a support plan, and your aged care assessor will begin to connect you with any ‘low-level’ funded supports you’ll need to remain independent. You can choose which service providers you want to be referred to, including us here at Guide Dogs!

‘Low-level’ funded supports are generally provided at a subsidised rate (meaning the government will pay for some of the total cost). Some providers will ask for a co-payment from you to make up the remaining cost. Find out more about the process and funding available at the My Aged Care website.

Visit your local Guide Dogs website.

To support Guide Dogs in your state, discuss partnership opportunities, or request for services, please visit your local Guide Dogs website or call 1800 484 333.

Ready to continue?

Seems like you have filled this form earlier. Let’s pick up where you left off.

I need help